The Vanguard

Filed under Student Life

Green light on Driver’s Ed

The ability to drive around wherever and whenever they want is something that is sought out by teens, typically driving is seen as one of the first steps of adulthood, a symbol of freedom.
However, the opportunity of acquiring a license is a far-off dream for some students, as not everyone can take driver’s ed courses due to lack of time or money.

According to Cars Direct’s article “Driving School Cost: Average Prices to Expect for Driving Lessons” (2013), “The typical cost of a driving school varies greatly between states and cities and is affected by the cost of gasoline. Expect classroom driver training between $30-$180. Actual road training runs between $50-$150 per session. Most driving schools offer an all-inclusive package between $200- $800.”
Money may be an issue when it comes to applying to driving courses. Having a course offered by a school rather than a company might cost students less.

“A driver’s education course could be much better if it was offered by high schools,” Christopher Gerges ‘21 said. “It could be a semester long, with each segment being about a quarter long. If people are on credit review or do not have enough credits to graduate, they should not be eligible to take the class, but it should be open to everyone who can take it. Even if people have to pay for it, I feel $150 is a good price, since a lot of companies charge about $200-$250. I hope the administration at least consider adding this class.”

School districts use to conduct driver’s ed training in high schools, but budget cuts, made these classes a thing of the past.

“It is possible to have a school-offered driver’s ed course,” Annette Alexander, consumer’s education teacher, said. “It would be ideal to have it offered by the school after the school day is over or on Saturday. It would be convenient to have it at school because it would be easier for students to get here since many live near the school anyway. It is hard to go to private companies and take courses since they have a lot of inflexible schedules. If we did have a course, it would have to be partially funded by the state or federal government, but they might not be able to. It could potentially be cheaper than private companies, but it still might cost students some money since they would have to pay for a driver’s ed teacher, a car, gasoline, repairs for the car or just about any expense that goes with this course.”

Having a course offered at Stevenson could help encourage more students to drive earlier and more safely.

“I think a driver’s ed course is a good idea,” Hannah Gartley ‘20 said. “If Stevenson offered it, the course would bring more awareness to young drivers. That is something that should be taken seriously. It would most likely influence them to take classes at Stevenson rather than pay so much at other companies. It would also benefit the school, since it could improve how we drive in the parking lot and prevent more accidents.”

Although it is not a course, offering the course as a class could help students kill two birds with one stone: get their license and also get high school credit.

“I think a driver’s education course would be very useful,” Gabrielle Beetham ‘19 said. “Some kids just cannot afford to go to a facility and pay for driving courses. I think it is possible to hire a driver’s ed teacher and offer to students who have a lot of their required credits out of the way and who are old enough to get permits. The class would teach kids the basics of driving and help students get their license, as well as help them get credits required to graduate.”