Gov. Whitmer’s Vape Ban Sparks Controversy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has banned the sales of flavored e-cigarettes in order to stop teen vaping.  In addition to the ban of flavored nicotine, advertising of vape products as clean or safe will be prevented.

This is cause for controversy because it is said that adults who use vaping as an alternative to smoking are being harmed in the process.  However, with a reported three million high school students who vape, the benefits may outweigh the consequences.

“I think that the ban might help some students, but it is not going to solve the problem,” Angela Sparks ’20 said. “A lot of students are addicted and will continue using the vapes anyway.  I do believe that the flavors are what attracted the students at first, but then it became a peer pressure issue.  Vaping became so normalized that people forgot it was dangerous.”

With so many of their peers smoking electronic cigarettes, teens often do not understand how dangerous the effects of smoking can be.

“I do not think that the ban will help with the vape problem,” Sara Sarigiannis ‘21 said. “Students will find other ways to fill their addiction if they cannot smoke.  I think that teens vape because they either think that it is cool or do not understand what they are putting into their bodies. When you are addicted, the flavor or how hard it is to obtain something does not matter anymore.  People who are addicted to things need to want to quit rather than being forced to by the government.”

However, the ban of flavored smoke can make it less attractive to those who might think about starting to vape.

“I agree with the ban,” Marcy Peterson, counselor, said. “I think that vaping is a huge problem in every school, and I do believe that the ban on flavored vapes will benefit students.  It is like smoking. For years, we did not know how damaging it was.  There is not enough research to know what is safe and not safe.  I think that two things make vapes so attractive to students.  It is seen as cool to smoke and the flavors target kids.  We need to protect our young people especially.  I do not think this will solve the problem completely, but it is a good start.  I am glad that our governor had the wherewithal to get the ball rolling on stopping them for good.”