The Vanguard

Filed under News

Clickbait popularity leads to spread of fake news

With clickbait becoming a common place on the internet, students struggle to determine which news is real news. Pictured Mirela Ruznic '20. Photo by Sarena Danou.

Sarena Danou

Sarena Danou

In this new era of technology, many things have advanced. One of the most important advancements is how news reaches the people. Whether the news is real or fake is the new bump in journalistic integrity and accuracy.

With more and more news articles appearing online, the world today has access to more information on what is happening in the world than ever before. However, with the increase of information comes the increase of misinformation as well.

“I feel like it is stupid to create false news,” Veronica Pardington ‘19 said. “People who write clickbait articles do it to create attention and get people to read their articles. People who are uneducated focus on those articles rather than the truth. It is wrong to spread misinformation. The media should state the truth, not lies.”

Clickbait articles are very popular on social media websites.

“I feel like these kinds of articles have a very big online presence,” Katiya Barkho ‘18 said. “The media likes to target teens by using clickbait articles. They place these articles on websites they know that teenagers would be on, like SparkNotes or famous social media sites, like Facebook or YouTube. The headlines and pictures of those kinds of articles are meant to make people want to click on the article so they can learn more.”

Teenagers are more likely to fall for these articles since they spend the most time online.

“When people share these kinds of clickbait articles, it is more of a knee jerk reaction,” William Frazier, sociology teacher, said. “Most people share it because it confirms a belief they have, even if the information is not true. Anybody can be susceptible to these kinds of articles, but older people tend to get their news from TV news or newspapers, while teens tend to get their news from social media sites. It takes work to be able to differentiate articles. It takes comprehension skill and critical analytical skills. You cannot be lazy. Read the whole article and decide if the sources and quotes are reliable.”

Yellow journalism in the past was the National Inquirer and Star rags. Now, it is called clickbait, with the same amount of followers who may be influenced negatively or erroneously by those who read them.

“A lot of people think that clickbait articles are true,” Jocelyn Bellhorn ‘20 said. “They think that no one would lie on the Internet, but that is not the case. People lie on the internet all the time, and that could lead to a lot of people believing false things. Because so many people put their opinions on the internet, it becomes hard to see which posts from social media are true and which are false.

“Those kinds of articles can ruin someone’s reputation, Bellhorn said. “We all know about those tabloids that do nothing but try to ruin people’s careers for the sake of getting money. These articles especially affect celebrities and politicians because they are the ones in the news whose reputations are at stake. Everyone is so worried about their favorite celebrities and politicians, so celebrities do not really have a personal life. Believing something not true as a fact is never a good thing.”