The Vanguard

Filed under Student Life

Students balance school challenges by staying motivated

Back to Article
Back to Article

In order to keep motivation for school, students Alissa Kizy '18 and Semon Kappouta '18 study together.

Sarena Danou

Sarena Danou

Sarena Danou

Being unable to cope with tasks and everyday life can cause those stressed to fall behind and become unmotivated. Too much stress and too many responsibilities can tear a person apart and shut a person down. But there are ways to keep life balanced through the tough times.

“I have trouble keeping track of all of my AP classes, along with sports and work,” Lauren Puchalski ‘18 said. “I try to keep everything balanced and follow a schedule, but not everything goes how I want it to. Some days I want to come home from work and just go to bed, but in know I have school work and house things to do as well. I want to be able to do things at my own pace, but I know I cannot.”

Homework, tests, lectures and labs can overwhelm a student into giving up early into the school year if they feel like they are pushed too much and cannot juggle school and then personal life.

“School can be stressful,” Catharine Carlson ‘20 said. “I feel like we get too much homework at a time, and many times I do not have time to finish it all. I try my hardest to persevere through it and get it all done, but there are times where I just do not want to do anything but relax.”

Students who keep themselves motivated by staying positive can better avoid stress.

“I try and tell myself that everything I am doing in school is worth it,” Mahtab Mann ‘19 said. “I know that if I give up and not do anything I will regret it later. I try and stay optimistic and motivated during the year. It can be hard sometimes. I definitely want to put everything down and just give up, but I get myself together and keep going.”

Staying positive may not be enough for some students who may feel as if they need to do well because their parents, guardians or relatives expect them to.

“My parents have always told me how important my education is,” Hailey Judd ‘18 said. “I always try my hardest to do as well as I can in school so my parents are proud and I can be as successful as I can be to ensure I have a good future. My parents also advise me to not give up halfway because it will not be worth it in the end.”

Keeping students interested in school may not be the easiest task, but many teachers try to make learning a good experience to help students be successful.

“I try to vary the lessons and experiences of students so that I can appeal to all learning styles and the social/emotional needs of students and create different learning opportunities and as much student choice as possible.” Annette Christiansen, English teacher, said. “A factor that can cause many students to stress is procrastination. It may not be that students do not want to do the work, but more that they are overwhelmed with the amount of work and push it off which may cause them stress.”

Finding ways to stay focused is key.

“Students can get back on track in school by getting off technology,” Christiansen said. “Brain research shows that the distraction from technology is the death knell of learning and focus. The instant gratification technology provides does not manifest itself in most life situations. Instead, perseverance and drive are needed to solve pressing problems. These are the skills needed in the future.  Students need to teach themselves discipline. They need to find their own meaning and motivation. They are in for a rude awakening if they think in the adult world people will be working hard to keep them motivated and interested. They will have to figure those things out for themselves.”