The Vanguard

Filed under News

Unwrap the online Vanguard

To celebrate its 50th anniversary year, Stevenson High School's student newspaper launches online edition

The Stevenson Vanguard officially launched its website on Dec. 8. Pictured (from left) Kai Stowers, Sarena Danou and Hannah Gartley.

Nichole Seguin

Nichole Seguin

In its golden 50th anniversary year, the Vanguard school newspaper celebrates by going online.

“It is awesome that we are going online,” Brandon Owiesny ‘18, co-editor in chief, said. “Creating an online paper as well as a print edition will be a big shift, but this is the year to do it. The goal of the online newspaper is timeliness. It will allow us to speedily provide news to our fellow Titans.”

The Titan student voice will be accessible online as well, so expect clicking mice and roaming eyes at shsvanguard.org on top of the rustle of print paper.

“I am super excited the Vanguard is finally going viral,” Paula Pantano, Vanguard adviser, said. “We have wanted to do this for years, but low staffing did not allow us to balance both a print and online forum. I am so proud of this year’s staff for taking up the gauntlet and bringing the newspaper publication class up to 2017.”

Titans can look forward to swift additional stories and relevant coverage.

“The fact that the newspaper is going to be made available online is really awesome,” Valentina Cacaj ‘18 said. “It will be easily accessible at the touch of a button. It is going to be really cool to be able to see more stories that are not on the physical issue. I really wish this would have happened sooner so I would have been able to have a source of school news at my fingertips whenever I wanted.”

An online version of the Vanguard creates an easily accessible more immediate source of news and entertainment.

“Being a sophomore, I have never been to a school that has a newspaper before,” Isabella Marceau ‘20 said. “I like reading articles online in general, so reading what is happening in terms of current events in school will be extremely interesting. Get the excitement when it happens, not after.”

While the online version of the newspaper offers its own benefits, there are positives to both an online and paper version of the Vanguard.

“I will definitely visit the online newspaper,” Haley Rivard ‘20 said. “The online newspaper is more convenient for [students] because our generation is more tech savvy. The paper issue has its own benefits, too, as it is easier to save as a memory. Both methods of news are beneficial in some way.”

Excitement is coming from all corners of Stevenson High including eager administrators.

“The online Vanguard will provide more visibility for student journalists,” principal Steven Pfannes said. “I am very excited because I feel that this is actually the direction that news is going in. More and more people are getting their news online than on print (paper). I think it is a good time to introduce the online newspaper because the students are ready.”

The Vanguard is also reachable on Twitter (@shsvanguard), Instagram (@shs.vanguard) and on Facebook (@stevensonvanguard). If there is a photo that displays Titans enjoying any school event (or an event with friends) that they would like featured, one can submit those pictures to the Vangaurd email ([email protected]) or bring them to F-111.

Start clicking.