The Vanguard

Filed under Opinion

Sarena Says: WWW might soon become big, big $$$

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Kyle Kiesler

Photo by Kyle Kiesler

Photo by Kyle Kiesler

Photo by Kyle Kiesler

The Federal Communications Commissions, the organization that regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable is unbiased and in their seats to protect and optimize the rights of the people, so net neutrality is not to be questioned. Oh, wait…  click pause please.

FCC chairman Ajit Pai recently proposed to abolish Title II, which threatens net neutrality. This, in turn, threatens every American who uses the internet.

Net neutrality protects the people of the United States by forbidding internet service providers from providing an unequal experience or charging more for access to certain websites. This debate has gone on for a decade and continues to rage on.

Net neutrality protects citizens by providing an equal experience in all corners of the internet. Without strict net neutrality laws, companies that provide internet will be able to prioritize their own products and websites and litter their customer’s views with ads of companies they are partnered with. They could even be able to go as far as blocking the products or websites of their competitors.

For people who enjoy social medias, ISPs can change more for accessing them. Apps can be separated into separate packages to purchase. If a customer wanted to access an app like Twitter, their provider may group it with a few others and charge an extra fee each month so that they will be allowed to use it. They will also separate apps into different additional packages, meaning an added cost for each package to the original internet bill.

This is attacking the rights of the citizens of the United States. Companies should not be allowed to dictate what websites and products their customers can view. If a certain ISP disagreed with a view they can filter it and any website that has to do with it out from their customers internet.

According to the FCC’s official website, one of Pai’s former occupations was, “Verizon Communications Inc. Associate General Counsel, 2001 – 2003.”

To start, it is important to have someone who is knowledgeable of the works of the companies that are being represented while also paying mind to the rights of the citizens. However, Pai worked as an attorney for Verizon and he proposed to destroy net neutrality. This proposal will cause Internet Service Providers (ISPs) such as and specifically Verizon to gain millions if not billions of dollars. Not to mention the amount of kickback that Pai will receive if he succeeds in repealing the rules that the FCC currently has in place.

The advocacy for net neutrality continues with more and more prominent groups joining in and rightfully so. An internet without net neutrality is not an opened internet. ISPs will be able gage the speed of internet traffic however they would like to.

Jay Stanley, senior policy analyst with the American Civil Liberties Union, in a statement in Mike Snider’s article on USAToday, ‘The FCC revealed its plan to repeal net neutrality. It could change how we use the Internet,’ said. “‘Gutting net neutrality will have a devastating effect on free speech online.”

The repealing of net neutrality will directly affect the free speech of Americans. ISPs will be able to regulate what they want their customers to be able to see. If an ISP blocks a website that advocates for certain things, no other internet user of that provider will be able to see that information. This is a violation of what our country stands for.

This is a call to action to stand against the effort to repeal net neutrality.