The Vanguard

Filed under Sports

Stroking for glory

Hoping not to sink in the standings, the boys swim team continues to make strides in the MAC Blue Division.

The boys meet Jan. 19 showcased five teams of young swimmers competing in a relay race for a better spot in their divisions.

“We had a good time,” William Schwesinger ’20, said. “We were competing against four other schools. More than one person swims in a relay, so watching everyone competing just made me really excited. And [though we were not first] we were still, overall, improved as a team and as swimmers.”

The other schools were Dakota, L’Anse Creuse, Chippewa Valley and South Lake High Schools. Stevenson placed top three in three relays, and stole the spot light in the very first race with a time that qualifies for state meets.

“Not to diminish the other swims, but the highlight of the night was the very first event,” coach Eric Platte said. “Isaiah Darnell went 55.20 in the 100-backstroke relay and that is a Division 1 state meet cut. State cuts are very difficult times to get in each event and the majority of Macomb County teams do not get a qualifier. It has been three years since Stevenson has been represented at the state meet so there definitely was excitement within the team and pool deck when that happened. The relay meet itself was great considering we had five swimmers suddenly out sick. Keep an eye out for our Macomb County meet Feb. 3 and some winnable dual meets within our division during this next month.”