The Vanguard

Filed under Student Life

Reducing panic around midterms

As one of the biggest tests of first semester, midterms can give students stress and anxiety if they are not prepared.

“I really freaked out last year because I did not study in advance for some of my midterms,” Alyssa Rhein ‘19 said. “This year, I am not making that mistake again. I started studying for my tests two weeks ahead of time, I did all my review packets and have been getting to sleep at a reasonable time every night. On the day of the exams, I am going to eat a good breakfast and go over the material for the exam I am taking that day. This will help me be prepared and get good grades on them.”

Being prepared for the midterms can cause less stress than cramming everything the night before.

“I get ready for midterms by studying each night,” Isabella Calado ‘18 said. “If you study each night in each class, you will retain most information without having to cram it all in the night before the exam. Doing all your homework and keeping up with all the exam reviews can also help reduce test anxiety and stress. Cramming the night before will lead to more stress and anxiety. Be prepared by studying in advance.”

Study habits include all different types of methods and techniques students use to prepare for a test.

“The best way to prepare for midterms is to start early and do some work each day.” Deborah Olson, counselor, said. “Waiting until the last minute and trying to “cram” is not effective and will lead to anxiety.  Starting to work on study guides as soon as you receive them will allow you time to find the information and answers you need, organize old tests and quizzes to use as resources, and check with peers and teachers regarding topics you need clarification on.  Make flashcards to help you remember vocabulary terms and facts.  Start out with a full stack of flash cards then set those cards aside that you are confident you know the answers to. Best of luck to everyone on exams!”