The Vanguard

Filed under Student Life

Catfishing: Taking the wrong bait

Staying in the social loop, Mariana Manni ‘20 (left) and Verna Cholagh ’20 cautiously check their phones against catfishing threats. Photo by Hannah Gartley.

Online dating websites are becoming more and more popular. However, so are the amount of people catfishing from afar.
Despite the dangers, catfishers exploit the vulnerable people, especially teens, to be attracted to relationships online.

“I think catfishing is pointless, and I think people who catfish are desperate for a girlfriend or boyfriend,” Emily Chodorowski ‘19 said. “Other times, it could be that people are insecure about themselves when they should not be. If you catfish people, they get upset or are shocked. If someone who catfishes’ steps into an innocent victim’s shoes and someone catfishes them, they would be just as upset. So, I do not see a good reason for doing it. I think everyone should be truthful and true to themselves.”

People who catfish usually do it because they are insecure and are not comfortable in their own skin. People should embrace who they are and not be afraid of what others will say.

“I feel catfishing is unnecessary because people should just be themselves when they are online,” Alyssa Galante ‘20 said. “There are those people who feel like they would not be accepted if they came on as themselves. However, then some people could question if you seem suspicious.”

Someone finding out they have been catfished can be demoralizing.

“It is shady, and it is dumb,” Kristina Shawver ‘18 said. “If you do not have the guts to show your own picture and be your own self, then you should not have any social media at all. Being yourself and showing people who you are and getting to know someone with the same similarities can create a friendship that could potentially last a very long time.”

Pretending to be someone else is not okay. It should never be allowed and is unacceptable. Friendships are real, not based off fake characteristic one portrays through a screen.

“It is disingenuous,” Mary Beth Acoff, English teacher, said. “It is also a dishonest way to represent yourself or other people.”

Catfishing is such a big deal in the news today. People are so used to communicating through a screen that they think it is okay to pretend to be someone that they are not. However, catfishing is just another form of insecurity from people who cannot be real.