The Vanguard

Filed under Student Life

High school love: Special, but difficult to keep

Enjoying a simple hallway moment, Brianna Hornibrook ’19 (left) and Dylon Baumann ’19 talk before their next class. Photo by Hannah Gartley.

Despite whether you believe high school relationships are a waste of time or a valuable life experience, people cannot ignore them, especially in a public high school.

However, one thing that is in teenager’s control is how healthy the relationship is, and often, how long it will last.

“I believe that relationships can last as long as the relationship is healthy,” Kyle Kiesler ‘18 said. “Some people move away and lose communication. Nothing is impossible, but nothing is set in stone. Communication is a big deal in relationships. I see so many people not communicating with their significant other because they do not want to lose. A long-term relationship for me would be one or two years in high school, but three or four years in adult life. Open communication is important and just being aware of each other’s feelings.”

Teachers and students alike seem to agree that communication is the key to a healthy relationship.

“I met my significant other in college, but my parents are high school sweethearts,” Julie Kuznicki, business teacher, said. “My high school relationships were not so serious, but I did have them. My tips for people dating in high school would be to make sure to be yourself. I often see people trying to live up to their significant other’s expectations and not being who they truly are. In order to make relationships last, just make sure to stay true to you.”

Some believe that dating while young gives valuable life experiences.

“Some high school relationships last, but it depends on the people in the relationship,” Francesca Tamburo ‘20 said. “Sometimes, their personalities do not work together. Some people can be too controlling or untrustworthy. I believe a long-term relationship is six months or longer. Common mistakes I see in relationships are lying, cheating and not communicating correctly. Communication is important in a relationship and people need to be honest with each other and trust each other.”

Others would argue that relationships believed bound to fail are a waste of time and would rather focus on their studies.

“Some of my long-term goals do not include a relationship,” Danielle Clary ‘19 said. “My idea of a long-term relationship would be something that lasts more than four months. I believe that relationships can last by having patience and the time for each other. Some people have the emotional maturity for a long-term relationship, but some just do not.”

Whether focusing on being too serious too fast or taking time to date depends on each person.

“In order for a relationship to be successful, there has to be mutual respect,” Annette Alexander, life skills teacher, said. “A strong couple needs to be comfortable around each other and allowed to be themselves. I think young adults rush to be in long term, mature relationships. They should just be able to have fun around each other. Teens dating in high school need to gain experience dating, but with different people, and not becoming so serious that they stop having fun. That way, as they become adults, they are better prepared for what they want in a relationship.”