The Vanguard

Filed under Opinion

Eminem bows down to Slim Shady

From Detroit’s own famous rapper, Eminem has finally released his long-anticipated album Revival December 15, 2017. The album is composed of 19 tracks, which include eight songs having collaborations with other artists across the album. The tracks give off the old Slim Shady vibe from when Eminem became more popular off his alter-ego when he first started his rap career. The track, “River” featuring Ed Sheeran is a good story being told about Eminem and his girlfriend having issues way back in the beginning and how he regrets things he has done over the course of both the song and time itself. However, the album also has faults. The song, “Remind Me” has the beat of a sample of Joan Jett & the Blackhearts’ “I Love Rock ‘n Roll,” which gives it an upbeat vibe. The song feels like a cheap out, such as Eminem’s previous song “Berzerk” which had two samples from Billy Squier’s “The Stroke” and Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right.” There is a correct way to sample songs. “Berzerk” did it properly, whereas “Remind Me” does not do it correctly because it feels like a knock off song. It also feels too bland and generic. Overall, Revival has its ups and downs, but the fans will eat it up because it has been four whole years since anyone heard from Eminem when he ushered his 2013 album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2. *