The Vanguard

Filed under News

Blood drive saves lives

Interested in donating blood, juniors Alissa Shulin (left) and Kalie Kilgour talk to senior Student Council members Chris Homrocky (left) and Micayla Philips about signing up for the annual blood drive event. Photo by Hannah Gartley.

Health Occupations Students of America and Student Council have joined forces to sponsor their first annual blood drive together Feb. 13 from 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the auxiliary gym.

Giving blood saves the lives of people who have experienced trauma or medical emergencies.

“Hospitals rely on donations to save lives,” Lisa Lucas, Student Council advisor, said.  “I feel it is a way you can give back to your community that does not cost any money.  Part of our mission statement of Student Council is giving back to the community, and we feel this is a good way to do that.  Giving blood is a way that you can literally save someone’s life, and it is relatively easy.”

Working with events like these can inspire students to look to the future.

“HOSA is not only trying to give the gift of life but educate students on how donating blood is necessary to save lives,” Alexis Madak ‘18, HOSA member, said. “I worked on the blood drive last year, and it really motivated me to pursue a career in the nursing field.”

Only staff and student from Stevenson can sign up for the drive, which will be run by MI-Blood for the first time.  MI-Blood is a blood bank that gives blood to many hospitals throughout Michigan. The first seven years sponsored by HOSA alone worked with the Red Cross.

“It is really important to donate blood, especially to those who need it,” Christopher Homrocky ‘18, president of Student Council, said.  “We take our healthy blood for granted a lot.  When you see someone first-hand who needs blood, you realize how important it is.”

If any student wishes to sign up, they must be 16 or older.

“I wanted to push myself this year to give blood,” Myrna Kada ‘18 said.  “I wanted to save people.  There is so many people in the world that need blood.  If I needed it, I would want someone to donate for me.”