The Student News Site of Stevenson High School

The Vanguard

The Vanguard

The Vanguard

Detroit Lions lose to San Fransico 49ers after long time 32 year losing streak

Detroit Lions running back David Montgomery (5) during an NFC Championship football game against the San Francisco 49ers on January 28, 2024 in Santa Clara. (Detroit Lions via AP)

After a long post-season losing streak after 32 years, the Detroit Lions advanced into uncharted territory beating the LA Rams 24-23 in the Wild Card game jan. 14, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 31-23 in the NFC Division Finals Jan. 21 before losing 34-31 to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Jan. 28.

“The playoff games so far have been amazing this year,” Aidan Kramer ’26 said. “The Rams was an interesting game since Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff, quarterbacks, were both playing against their former teams.. I was glad the Lions won, it proves we are going into new territory. I was on the edge of my seat in the Bucs game when both teams tied in the first three quarters, 3-3, 10-10 and 17-17. Goff missed some passes, but overall he played really well. Amon-Ra St. Brown, wide receiver, was amazing. He reminds me of Barry Sanders, former pro running back. Sanders was a beast when he played for the Lions from 1989-1999. The game against the 49ers was great in the beginning, but got worse when Josh Reynolds, wide receiver, dropped the ball twice in the game. Overall, we were close to going to the Super Bowl and had a good season.”